The coin was issued without varieties. The obverse and reverse sides have projecting circumferentially continuous edge.The obverse of the coin
depicts a double-headed eagle with outstretched wings, crowned with two Imperial crowns, above is the same crown but larger. On the eagle's breast an oval shield that depicts St. George slaying a serpentine dragon under the shield St. Andrew's cross. The feet and beaks of the eagle are the cards of four Russian seas - the White, the Black, the Baltic and the Pacific. Below along the rim in a semicircle, nominal value - "МОНЕТА РУБЛЬ"The reverse of the coin
is a bust portrait of Peter the great in profile, face to the right. Left vertical bottom-up date "1714", right, top to bottom - "1914". The top and bottom are inscriptions along the rim: at the top - "ГАНГУТЪ" below - "27 IЮЛЯ"
The photo shows the instances of exhibitions of the State Hermitage ", the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Empire
", having a number-R-2-17688 and IT-R-2-17689.
The coinage produced in 1914 in the amount of 30 thousand units for the participants of the military parade dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the great naval victories at Gangut and the launching of the big battleship "Gangut". The war prevented the holding of the parade and almost the entire edition went to the smelter. In 1916 produced another 300 pieces (with the same date) by order of Prince Sergei Mikhailovich. It is believed that in 1927 by order of the collectors has released a large number of remakes, but the information is very controversial. Differences novodel coin from original unknown.
The battle of Gangut between Swedish and Russian Navy have occurred in the Baltic sea near the Cape Gangut (southern Finland) July 27 (August 7, new style), 1714, brought Russia's first ever naval victory. From the Russian side in the battle took part 99 the gallery with sleeping in them 15 thousand soldiers, from the Swedish side 10 ships with 941 soldier. When battle tactics had been employed boarding (grip of the enemy ships). On the occasion of the victory in St. Petersburg hosted celebrations was erected a temporary triumphal arch.