The obverse of the coin in the center there is the emblem of the Bank of Russia (the eagle with drooping wings, I. Bilibin). Up in a semicircle along the rim the inscription: "ПЯТЬ РУБЛЕЙ" below "БАНК РОССИИ"(the inscriptions are separated by ornaments, consisting of five diamonds).
The reverse of the coin is the relief image of the sailing ship "Comrade" to his right near Kant indicated the year of coinage - "1996" underneath the mark of the Leningrad mint (stylized letters "ЛМД". At the top by a stylized semi-circular strip is placed the inscription: "300-ЛЕТИЕ РОССИЙСКОГО ФЛОТА" down on top of the figure is also a half circle "ПАРУСНОЕ СУДНО «ТОВАРИЩ»"
The obverse and reverse of the coin features the speaker on the circumference of the piping.
The Artist: A.V. Baklanov.
The Sculptor: A. A. Dolgopolova.
Release date: 18 Oct 1996
Before coming to power of Peter the Great in Russia was not regular Navy. A small flotilla was created directly before the fighting and consisted of several ships. In 1688, on lake Pleshcheyevo in Pereslavl-Zalessky create a "Funny fleet", which included miniature ships for training sailors. In the 90-ies of the XVII century began to put the Azov fleet, and in 1696, a Royal decree confirmed the creation of a regular Russian Navy.
The barque "Comrade" was released in Germany in 1933, was initially called "Gorch Fock". In 1945, during the fighting, the ship was sunk, and two years later raised and given to the USSR as war reparation. In 1951, after the repair the sailboat came from Leningrad, skirted Europe and docked in Odessa. In the 70s and sailed to the coast of the United States, participated in several regattas, in 1980 he visited South America. After the collapse of the USSR was assigned to Ukraine, for many years there has been an attempt repairs, but there was not enough funding. In 2003 he was sent to Germany, was returned to its original name. Now the ship is in the Museum of Stralsund.