The obverse of the coin
in the upper part of the disc - the coat of arms of the USSR of the sample of 1956: the hammer and sickle on a globe, beneath the rising sun, at the top a five-pointed star; the sides of the ears of corn, tied with fifteen turns of the tape, the lower stage is much wider, symbolizes the RSFSR (the rest of the coils - the other republics). Under the arms the full width of the coin there is an inscription "СССР" below is the value: a large stylized number "5" under which a semicircle along the edge to the floor "РУБЛЕЙ" even below, in smaller numbers, the year of coinage - "1989".The reverse of the coin
vividly depicts St. Basil's Cathedral (Pokrovsky Cathedral) in Moscow, to the right of it date of construction - "1561". At the bottom horizontally old the lettering «МОСКВА» Along the rim at the top there is a semicircular inscription in the same font: «СОБОР ПОКРОВА НА РВУ»
The obverse and reverse of the coin features the speaker on the circumference of the piping.
Date of issue: June 6, 1989, refers to a series of coins dedicated to the attractions of the USSR.
The artists: A.V. Baklanov and A. A. Kolodkin.
The Sculptor: I. S. Komshilov.
Total circulation: 2 million pieces, of which 300 thousand coins collectible proof performance
During the reign of Ivan the terrible on red square in Moscow was a wooden Trinity Cathedral, which the king promised to replace the stone in the case of the capture of Kazan. After a victorious campaign against Kazan was built a Church of great beauty, which was completed in 1561. A new Church dedicated to the feast of the Intercession of the virgin. More common name "St. Basil's Cathedral" received a small Church built in the XVII century (the Church was the only heated room, so enjoyed the greatest demand among the parishioners). Inside, the Cathedral looks so impressive as the outside, and consists of 11 separate small churches connected by transitions. Arranged around the gallery, and high basement are several areas used for storage of values. Now the Cathedral is the Museum, admission is paid. Inside are placed various objects, coins and Church plate, some churches have an iconostasis. Of particular interest are the frescoes that can be seen on the arches of the galleries. In 1931, the Church moved the monument to Minin and Pozharsky, standing earlier in the center of the square.